Monday, May 18, 2009

Blog #5

The following is an e-mail that the main character, Bianca, wrote to her boyfriend Lucas.

“I’m not telling you all of this because I expect to get you back. I know I don’t deserve that, not after what I did, an even though you’re not in danger at Evernight, I guess you don’t want to come anywhere near the school ever again.
Mostly I’m writing to ask you, please, if you haven’t already told anyone what you saw here, don’t. Don’t show anyone this e-mail. Keep this secret for me. If the truth got out, my parents and Balthazar and a lot of other students would be in danger, and it would be all my fault. I couldn’t bear it if I were responsible for hurting anybody.
I didn’t tell any of them that you saw me and Erich upon the roof. I did that to keep you safe. You can do that much for me in return, right? That’s all I ask. Maybe it’s more than I deserve, but it’s not about me. It’s about the people who could get hurt.
I also wanted you to know that I do care enough about you to tell you the truth. I’m sorry that I waited until too late. But I hope it means something to you when you understand how I really feel.
I’ll never stop missing you.
Good-bye, Lucas” (Gray 212).
Background:
Bianca wrote this e-mail to Lucas during the month break for Christmas. Christmas break happened to begin the day after Lucas found Bianca and Enrich on the roof. The whole break Bianca was miserable because she didn’t talk to Lucas at all but that’s all she wanted to do. When break was finally over Bianca waited for Lucas to come back but she didn’t think that he would, considering that he realized that the school was full of vampires. While Bianca was helping Raquel with her bags and avoiding Enrich they see Lucas who tries to get away from them but Vic comes up and starts telling stories about his vacation in the Bahamas. There is tension between them but Vic doesn’t notice. A few days later Courtney comes into Patrice and Bianca’s room with the news that Enrich has run away from the school. This is great for Raquel because she doesn’t have to deal with him bothering her anymore. The weird thing is he took all of his school supplies but none of his clothes, according to his room mate. That night while Bianca was sitting in one of the turret staircases watching the road for anything interesting that might happen Lucas comes up behind her, wants to talk about what happened. Bianca insists that they need to be in private to make sure that no one hears their conversation. While they are in the tower that is used for storage of all the records of students Lucas confesses to Bianca that he wanted to run away and never come back or speak to her again but he couldn’t because he needs to be with her so badly. Bianca doesn’t expect this at all but they are back together again and are happier then ever. In the cold storage room they start making out and Lucas tells Bianca that she can bite him again so she does but this time he remembers it. This is really strange but then Bianca realizes that if you bite a human more then once then they can become a vampire too. She vows not to ever bite him again unless he asks her to. They go back to their rooms for the night. The next day though Lucas isn’t anywhere to be found. After classes Vic confronts Bianca and asks her to sneak into the boys rooms so she can convince Lucas to go to the doctor because he is really sick. When Vic leaves the room Lucas explains that his senses are much stronger then he thought was possible and Bianca is worried that he is turning into a vampire. Over the next few days some senses fade and others are still strong and so Bianca decides to test him to see if he likes blood. He drinks some and he thinks that it is disgusting. So Bianca decides that he is not becoming a vampire. They decide that the only way they are going to understand what is going on with both of them is to confront Bianca’s parents. When she tells them they are furious which was not expected. Bianca’s parents decide that they have to bring in Mrs. Bethany, the mean head mistress. She is even more furious. Mrs. Bethany gives them information on what they will need to know so that they can understand their changes. When Mrs. Bethany is done talking Bianca realizes that when she was talking to Lucas it wasn’t as if he had a choice to become a vampire, she was basically telling him he would HAVE to become a vampire which he was not comfortable with.

Passage analysis:
The e-mail to Lucas was to make sure that he doesn’t ruin the school secret. Bianca was really worried that he would tell someone. Luckily that was not the case. She also wanted to make sure that Lucas knew that she did care about him and she couldn’t have told him the secret. I think that there might be some foreshadowing with this e-mail because I think that somehow the e-mail will be read by someone else and the school will be compromised.

No comments: